GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Stoke St Gregory

"STOKE ST. GREGORY, a parish in the hundred of North Curry, county Somerset, 8 miles N.E. of Taunton, its post town, 5 N.W. of Langport, and 1½ mile from Athelney Bridge railway station. The village is situated between the rivers Parret and Tone, near Athelney Island. The parish includes East Curry, Curryload, and Stathe. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £120, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church, dedicated to St. Gregory, is an ancient edifice, with a tower and five bells. The register dates from 1561. There are National schools for both sexes, also a Sunday-school held at the vestry-room. The Bible Christians have a chapel. The Dean and Chapter of Wells are lords of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2004
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 28th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]