GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Stoke Sub Hamdon

"STOKE-SUB-HAMDON, a parish in the hundred of Tintinhull, county Somerset, 5 miles N.W. of Yeovil, and 2 S. of Martock railway station. The village, which is large, is situated on the river Parret. Many of the female inhabitants are engaged in glove making, but agriculture is the principal industry. In the vicinity are traces of the chantry, or college, founded in 1304 by Sir John Beauchamp; who had a castle here. On Hamdon Hill are extensive stone quarries. This parish comprehends the villages of East and West Stoke. The soil consists of a light loam, with a subsoil of clay, producing grain and green crops in abundance. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value 109. The church, dedicated to St. Denis, has a tower and five bells. The Wesleyans have a chapel, at which a Sunday-school is held. The Prince of Wales, as Duke of Cornwall, is lord of the manor. A fair for pedlery occurs on 23rd April." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson  2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records


Find help, report problems, or contribute information

Valid HTML 4.0! Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.

[Last updated 24th October 2014 by Malcolm Daniels]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.