GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Stowey

"STOWEY, a parish in the hundred of Chew, county Somerset, 3 miles S.W. of Pensford, its post town, and 1½ mile W. of Clutton. The principal seats are Stowey Mead, belonging to Lord Mount-Sandford, and Stowey House. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £183, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £35 per annum. There are schools for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. Sir E. Strachey, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 28th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]