GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Tickenham

"TICKENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Portbury, county Somerset, 2 miles S. of the Nailsea station on the Bristol and Exeter railway, and 10 S.W. of Bristol. Clevedon is its post town. The village is situated on the declivity of a range of hills skirting the road from Bristol to Clevedon. On the summit of the hill above the village is Cadbury Castle, a double-ditched Roman camp. The soil is of various qualities, with a subsoil of limestone, which is extensively quarried. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £163, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church, dedicated to St. Quiricus and Julietta, contains effigies of the Berkeley family, who resided at Tickenham Court, the ruins of which still exist. There is a National school for both sexes. The Plymouth Brethren have a chapel. Sir J. H. G. Smyth, Bart., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 29th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.