GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Timsbury

"TIMSBURY, a parish in the hundred of Chew, county Somerset, 8 miles S.W. of Bath station and its post town, and 7 S. of Keynsham railway station. The village is on the road between Bath and Wells, and near the Somerset coal canal, which commences at the south-western extremity of the parish. There are several coalpits in the vicinity. The soil consists of rich loam, and is favourable to the growth of elm and ash timber. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £389, in the patronage of Balliol College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1825. There are a National school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school. The Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans have chapels." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 29th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.