We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Trent

"TRENT, a parish in the hundred of Horethorne, county Somerset, 4 miles N.W. from Sherborne, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Yeovil railway station. The village is bounded on the S. by the river Yeo. The soil is alluvial and sandy loam, with a subsoil of strong clay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £433, in the patronage of Christ Church College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains a carved screen, several stained windows, and monuments to the Wyndham family. The parochial charities produce about £24 per annum, besides 4 almshouses built and endowed by Mrs. Turner. There are a free school with an annuity of £120, a National school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school. H. D. Seymour, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. A fair is held on the Monday following the 26th August."

"ADBEER, a hamlet in the parish of Trent, hundred of Horethorne, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles to the N.E. of Yeovillage A chapel, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, formerly existed here, but it was destroyed during the civil war of the 17th century."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
We are looking for somebody who can help with the maintenance of this page, which currently has a status of Pending - The section is active and has a maintainer assigned but a replacement maintainer is being sought. For more information about what helping us entails, look at our help wanted page. If you would like to consider helping us then please contact Malcolm Daniels.