GENUKI Home page
Trent Trent     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Trent

"TRENT, a parish in the hundred of Horethorne, county Somerset, 4 miles N.W. from Sherborne, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Yeovil railway station. The village is bounded on the S. by the river Yeo. The soil is alluvial and sandy loam, with a subsoil of strong clay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £433, in the patronage of Christ Church College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains a carved screen, several stained windows, and monuments to the Wyndham family. The parochial charities produce about £24 per annum, besides 4 almshouses built and endowed by Mrs. Turner. There are a free school with an annuity of £120, a National school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school. H. D. Seymour, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. A fair is held on the Monday following the 26th August."

"ADBEER, a hamlet in the parish of Trent, hundred of Horethorne, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles to the N.E. of Yeovillage A chapel, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, formerly existed here, but it was destroyed during the civil war of the 17th century."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]