GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Twerton

"TWERTON, a parish in the hundred of Wellow, county Somerset, 1½ mile S.W. of Bath, its post town. It is a station on the Great Western railway. The village is situated on the river Avon, near the suspension bridges. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the woollen and carpet manufacture; there are also numerous tanneries. In the vicinity are quarries of lias limestone, containing ammonites and other fossils. The gaol of the city and borough of Bath stands in this parish, and the house where Fielding, the novelist, resided. The soil is clayey. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £395, in the patronage of Oriel College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, and recently rebuilt, has an old tower and six bells. The register dates from 1538, but is not perfect. There is a parochial school for both sexes, at which a Sunday-school is held. The Wesleyans, Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and Swedenborgians have chapels." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

 

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 3rs October 2013 - Malcolm Daniels]