GENUKI Home page
Upton Upton     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Upton

"UPTON, a parish in the hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 7 miles W. of Wiveliscombe, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Dulverton. The village is situate on the Watchet and Minehead road, and on the river Haddow, a tributary of the Exe. The soil is clayey, with a subsoil of shellet rock and clay. There are stone quarries. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £50. The church is dedicated to St. James. There are an infant school and a chapel for the Bible Christians. The Earl of Carnarvon is lord of the manor."

"BITTISCOMBE, a hamlet in the parish of Upton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles to the E. of Dulverton."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]