GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Walton in Gordano

"WALTON-IN-GORDANO, a parish in the hundred of Portbury, county Somerset, 2 miles N. of Clevedon, its nearest railway station and post town, and 12 S.W. of Bristol. The village is situated nearly opposite to Cardiff, on the Bristol Channel, and under the Clevedon hills. On the summit of a hill overlooking the village are the remains of Ralph de Mortimer's castle, built shortly after the Conquest, which is now used as the National schoolhouse. It subsequently came to the Seymours, Thymes, and Richard de Walton. The soil is light and sandy, with a subsoil of limestone and rock. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £209. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, was enlarged in 1838. There is a National school. Sir William Miles is lord of the manor and sole landowner. There are some remains of an old chapel belonging to the castle, with a piscina and cross." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 29th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]