Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Wanstrow
"WANSTROW, a parish in the hundred of Frome, county Somerset, 6 miles S.W. of Frome, its post town, and a quarter of a mile from the Wanstrow railway station. The village is situated on the high road from Bruton to Frome. The parish includes the hamlet of Weston. The soil is clayey, with a subsoil of clay. There is a small extent of common. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £325. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a National school for both sexes, at which a Sunday-school is held, and the Wesleyans have a chapel. Mrs. C. S. Clarke is lady of the manor."
"WESTON, a hamlet in the parish of Wanstrow, hundred of Frome, county Somerset, 5 miles S.W. of Frome."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]