Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"WELLINGTON, a parish and market town in the hundred of Kingsbury, county Somerset, 13 miles S.W. of Bridgwater, and 148 from London. It is a station on the Bristol and Exeter railway, which runs through the parish. The town of Wells, situated on the road from Bath to Exeter, given by King Alfred to Bishop Asser, afterwards came to the see of Wells, and later to the families of Somerset and Popham. It is written Walintone in the Domesday survey. The town is well built and contains several streets, the chief of which is half a mile in length. It is lighted with gas, well supplied with water, has a townhall, corn and provision market, market-house, police station, and union workhouse. The inhabitants are for the most part employed in the woollen, brick, tile, and agricultural implement manufactories. Coal mines and lime quarries in the vicinity afford some employment." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Wellington Museum, run by the Wellington Museum and Local History Society, is located at 28 Fore Street, Wellington, Somerset. It is open from Easter until the end of September. The Societys web site at http://www.wellingtonmuseum.org.uk gives opening dates and times as well as other details, particularly a summary of what is in the Museum.
References in the British Library:
- Materials for the History of the Town and Parish of Wellington in the County of Somerset.. London, 1908, etc.
- A sermon, preached September 13th, 1813, in the Parish Church, Wellington, in the County of Somerset ... by Thos. Carr. 1813
- Title Official Guide to Wellington, Somerset, Rural District, etc.. Century Press: London, [1949.]
- Wellington Baptist Church, South Street, Baptist
- All Saints, Rockwell Green, Church of England
- St John the Baptist, B3187, Church of England
- Wellington Methodist Church, Waterloo Road, Methodist
- Millway Evangelical Church, North Street, Evangelical
- Chapel, Mantle Street, Other
- Congregational Chapel, Fore Street, United Reformed
- St John Fisher, Mantle Street, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Wellington area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Wellington which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST140200 (Lat/Lon: 50.972912, -3.226291), Wellington which are provided by: