GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Towns and Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Wellington

"WELLINGTON, a parish and market town in the hundred of Kingsbury, county Somerset, 13 miles S.W. of Bridgwater, and 148 from London. It is a station on the Bristol and Exeter railway, which runs through the parish. The town of Wells, situated on the road from Bath to Exeter, given by King Alfred to Bishop Asser, afterwards came to the see of Wells, and later to the families of Somerset and Popham. It is written Walintone in the Domesday survey. The town is well built and contains several streets, the chief of which is half a mile in length. It is lighted with gas, well supplied with water, has a townhall, corn and provision market, market-house, police station, and union workhouse. The inhabitants are for the most part employed in the woollen, brick, tile, and agricultural implement manufactories. Coal mines and lime quarries in the vicinity afford some employment." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson  2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

References in the British Library:

Church Records

Directories

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000
Page created by Andy Perkins.

[Last updated 24th October 2014 by Malcolm Daniels]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.