GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Wellow

"WELLOW, a parish in the hundred of Wellow, county Somerset, 4½ miles S. of Bath, and 5 W. of the Freshford station on the Wilts, Somerset, and Weymouth railway. The village is situated under Woodeboro' barrow, on the tram-road from the Welton collieries communicating with the Avon and Kennet and Radford canals. It is noted for its strawberry gardens, and has Bray's Down collieries near the hamlet of Sherscomb. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £350. The church, dedicated to St. Julian, was nearly rebuilt in 1370, and restored in 1845. The interior contains an oak roof, open oak seats, and several monuments to the Hungerford family. The register dates from 1561. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There are National and Sunday schools, the former endowed with £10 per annum. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. Among numerous other Roman relics, tesselated pavements, altars, pillars, and fragments of paterę, were discovered here in 1644, 1670, and 1685. On the manor of Littleton is a Celtic burial-place, and near the extremity of the parish is the large barrow called Woodeboro'. A fair is held on the 20th October for cattle and sheep." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 29th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]