Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"WELLS, a parish, an ancient city, parliamentary and municipal borough, market, assize, session, polling, and union town, locally situated in the hundred of Wells Forum, Somersetshire, but having separate jurisdiction, 19 miles S. of Bristol, the same distance S.W of Bath, and 120 S.W. of London. It has two railway stations, viz:, on the East Somerset, and Somerset and Dorset railways. It is situated on the S. side of the Mendip hills, by which it is sheltered from the N. winds. Wells was anciently called Tethiscine, Tudingtone, Welve, Wielia, Fonticuli, &c., and derives its name from the numerous springs in the neighbourhood, and more especially from that of St. Andrew, which, rising near the bishop's palace, flows through the south-western part of the city." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
References in the British Library:
- The City of Wells, Somerset. The official guide of the Wells City Council. [With a map.]. pp. 88. Clare, Son, & Co.: Wells, [c. 1925.]
- Wells Baptist Church, Baptist
- Cathedral, Cathedral Green, Church of England
- St Andrew (old cathedral), Church of England
- St Cuthbert, St Cuthbert Street, Church of England
- St Thomas, St Thomas Street, Church of England
- Wells Methodist Church, Southover, Methodist
- St Joseph & St Teresa, Chamberlain Street, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Wells area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Wells which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Wells has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wells to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST540450 (Lat/Lon: 51.202295, -2.659819), Wells which are provided by: