GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Wells

"WELLS, a parish, an ancient city, parliamentary and municipal borough, market, assize, session, polling, and union town, locally situated in the hundred of Wells Forum, Somersetshire, but having separate jurisdiction, 19 miles S. of Bristol, the same distance S.W of Bath, and 120 S.W. of London. It has two railway stations, viz:, on the East Somerset, and Somerset and Dorset railways. It is situated on the S. side of the Mendip hills, by which it is sheltered from the N. winds. Wells was anciently called Tethiscine, Tudingtone, Welve, Wielia, Fonticuli, &c., and derives its name from the numerous springs in the neighbourhood, and more especially from that of St. Andrew, which, rising near the bishop's palace, flows through the south-western part of the city." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

References in the British Library:

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 29th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]