National Gazetteer (1868) - West Camel

"WEST CAMEL, a parish in the hundred of Somerton, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the E. of Ilchester, its post town. It is in a flat country, on a branch of the Ivel, near the Great Western railway, and contains the hamlets of Downhead, Sterthill, and Urgashay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £275, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There are some charities of small value.

"DOWNHEAD, a hamlet in the parish of West Camel, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles N.E. of Ilchester."

"STERTHILL, a hamlet in the parish of West Camel, county Somerset, 5 miles S.W. of Castle Cary."

"URGASHAY, a hamlet in the parish of West Camel, county Somerset, 3 miles N.E. of Ilchester."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]