GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

West Hatch

"WEST HATCH, a parish in the hundred of North Curry, West division of county Somerset, 5 miles S.E. of Taunton, and 7 N.W. of Ilminster. This parish was formerly joined with North Curry, and was under the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Wells, but in 1856, by an order of council, it was constituted a distinct parish. In the lower part of the parish the soil is a rich red loam, but in the upper clayey. It includes part of Sedgmoor. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £42. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £65, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a beautiful structure of the 16th century. It has been lately enlarged and greatly altered. The register commences in the year 1604. There are National and Sunday schools. The Dean and Chapter of Wells are lords of the manor and chief landowners." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 29th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]