GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

West Monkton

"WEST MONKTON, a parish in the hundred of Whitley, county Somerset, 4 miles N. of Taunton, its post town, and 7 S.W. of Bridgwater. It is situated on the river Tone, near the Bridgwater and Taunton canal. The Bristol and Exeter section of the Great Western railway passes through the parish. There are numerous stone quarries. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The village, which is considerable, stands on the Bath and Exeter road. The surface is hilly, comprising part of the Quantock range of hills. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £630. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £1,000. The church, dedicated to St. Augustine, has a square tower containing a clock and six bells. The register dates from 1704. The parochial charities produce about £51 per annum, of which £45 goes to the Spital almshouses, founded in 1270 by Thomas Lambret for eleven widows. These almshouses, after having been burnt in the reign of Henry VIII., were rebuilt by the last abbot of Glastonbury. A Sunday-school is held in the vestry-room. There is a National school for both sexes. Monkton House, Springfield, Court Place, and Walford House, are the principal residences. The last is situated in an extensive and well-wooded park. Miss Warre, of Hestercombe, is lady of the manor. There are traces of a Roman camp." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Census

Directories

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 29th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.