Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - West Pennard
"WEST PENNARD, a parish in the hundred of Glaston-Twelve-Hides, county Somerset, 6 miles from Shepton-Mallet, its post town, and 1 mile from the Pennard station on the Wilts and Somerset railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the Glastonbury and Shepton-Mallet turnpike road. The parish comprises the hamlets of East Street, South Town, and Sticklinch. The soil consists of sandy loam with a clay subsoil. A cheese which was made for her Majesty in this parish weighed 11 cwt. The appropriate tithes, which belong to the Bishop of Bath and Wells, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £310, besides an acre of glebe. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £102, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has a square tower containing a clock and five bells. The parochial charities produce about £29 per annum. There are National schools for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The Earl of Sandwich is lord of the manor. An annual fair is held on the first Monday in August.
"SOUTH-TOWN, a hamlet in the parish of West Pennard, county Somerset, 5 miles S. of Wells."
"STICKLINCH, a hamlet in the parish of West Pennard, county Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Shepton Mallet."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]