GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

West Pennard

"WEST PENNARD, a parish in the hundred of Glaston-Twelve-Hides, county Somerset, 6 miles from Shepton-Mallet, its post town, and 1 mile from the Pennard station on the Wilts and Somerset railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the Glastonbury and Shepton-Mallet turnpike road. The parish comprises the hamlets of East Street, South Town, and Sticklinch. The soil consists of sandy loam with a clay subsoil. A cheese which was made for her Majesty in this parish weighed 11 cwt. The appropriate tithes, which belong to the Bishop of Bath and Wells, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £310, besides an acre of glebe. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £102, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has a square tower containing a clock and five bells. The parochial charities produce about £29 per annum. There are National schools for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The Earl of Sandwich is lord of the manor. An annual fair is held on the first Monday in August." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 29th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]