GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

West Quantoxhead

"WEST QUANTOXHEAD, a parish in the hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 2¼ miles E. of the Williton station on the West Somerset railway, and 15½ W. of Bridgwater. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the turnpike road from Bridgwater to Minehead, and is within half a mile of the Bristol Channel. The soil consists of stonebrash and clay. The parish is bounded on the N. by the Bristol Channel. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £220, and there are 38 acres of glebe. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £232. The church, dedicated to St. Etheldreda, has a square tower containing four bells. The interior has a marble font and a painted window. The church was erected in 1856 at an expense of £8,000, defrayed by Sir P. Acland, Bart., and Sir Alexander Acland Hood Bart., M.P. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes, erected in 1857, and entirely supported by Sir Acland Hood. The principal residence is St. Andries House, situated in the midst of an extensive and well-wooded park. Sir A. A. Hood, Bart., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 29th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.