GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Whatley

"WHATLEY, a parish in the hundred of Frome, county Somerset, 2½ miles S.W. of Frome. The village is situated on elevated ground adjoining the road from Salisbury through Wells to Exeter. The manufacture of woollen cloth is partially carried on, and there is a factory for agricultural implements. The parish includes the chapelry of Chantry and the hamlet of Little Elm. The surface is diversified, and at the western extremity of the parish are remains of Tedbury Camp, where a Roman bath, tesselated pavements, and figures of dolphins, and the head of a goddess, supposed to be Cybele, have been discovered. There are quarries of limestone, whetstone, and inferior freestone. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £230. The church, dedicated to St. George, contains the effigies of a crusader, and is sheltered by thick overhanging woods. The Wesleyans and Independents have chapels with schools annexed. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 29th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]