GENUKI Home page
White Lackington White Lackington     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - White Lackington

"WHITE LACKINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, county Somerset, 1½ mile N.E. of Ilminster, its post town. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated on the Ilchester road, and E. of the Chard canal. It comprises the hamlets of Atherstone, Silvinch, Hurcote, and Clangers Hermitage. There are several quarries of stone, used for building and for burning into lime. The soil is fertile. The prebendal tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £288, and the vicarial for £220. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £230, in the patronage of the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower. There is a parochial school, supported by voluntary contributions. The charities produce £100 per annum, the bequest of Miss Gyllett.

"ATHERSTONE, a hamlet in the parish of White Lackington, and hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, in the county of Somerset, not far from Ilminster."

"CLANGERS-HERMITAGE, a hamlet in the parish of White Lackington, in the county of Somerset, 1 mile N.E. of Ilminster."

"HURCOTE, a hamlet in the parish of White Lackington, county Somerset, 1 mile E. of Ilminster."

"SILVINCH, a hamlet in the parish of White Lackington, county Somerset, 2 miles N.E. of Ilminster."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]