GENUKI Home page
Wilton Wilton     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Wilton

"WILTON, a parish in the hundred of Taunton, county Somerset, half a mile S.W. of Taunton, of which it is a suburb, containing the gaol and house of correction. There was formerly a hospital built by one of the bishops of Winchester. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. George, was formerly a chapel-of-ease to the vicarage of St. Mary Magdalene, in Taunton."

"GALMINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Wilton, county Somerset, half a mile S. of Taunton."

"SHURFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Wilton, county Somerset, near Taunton."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.