Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Winford
"WINFORD, a parish in the hundred of Hartcliffe, county Somerset, 5 miles S.W. of Bristol. It includes the hamlets of Felton and Ridghill. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £480, in the gift of Worcester College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to SS. Mary and Peter, was rebuilt in 1796, with the exception of the tower. The Baptists have a chapel. There are National and Sunday schools."
"RIDGHILL, a tything in the parish of Winford, county Somerset, 6 miles S.W. of Bristol. It is a small but neatly-built village. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agricultural pursuits."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]