GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Wiveliscombe

"WIVELISCOMBE, a parish and market town in the hundred of Kingsbury West, county Somerset, 15 miles S.W. of Bridgwater, 11 W. of Taunton, and 6 N. of Wellington railway station. It is situated in a comb, or valley, from which circumstance it takes its name, under the Maundown hills, and includes the chapelry of Fitzhead, the town of Wiveliscombe, and the hamlets of Croford, Ford, Langley, West Town, and Whitfield. It was a place of importance under the Saxons, and had a palace in the 15th century, belonging to the Bishops of Wells, to whom the manor was originally given by Edward the Confessor. It is a polling place for the county elections, and is governed by a bailiff, portreeve, and other officers, but is under the jurisdiction of the county magistrates, who hold petty sessions on the third Tuesday in each month. The population is close upon 3,000. The town is lighted with gas, and contains a townhall, police station, dispensary, reading-rooms, and branch bank. Here is situated the largest brewery in the W. of England." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

References in the British Library:

Church Records

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 2nd February 2014 by Malcolm Daniels]