GENUKI Home page
Woolverton Woolverton     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Woolverton

"WOOLVERTON, a parish in the hundred of Frome, county Somerset, 4 miles N.E. of Frome, and 9 from Bath, near the western bank of the river Frome, and on the road from Bath to Warminster. The soil is light and thin, upon a subsoil of clay. The parish includes the tything of Chatley. The living is a rectory* annexed to that of Road, on the opposite side of the river, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. The register commences in 1570. There are National and Sunday schools."

"CHATLEY, a tything in the parish of Woolverton, in the hundred of Frome, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles N. of Frome."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 24th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.