GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Yeovil

"YEOVIL, a parish, market town, and municipal borough in the hundred of Stone, county Somerset, 21 miles S.E. of Bridgwater, 40 S.W. of Bristol, and 48 N.E. of Exeter. It has a joint station of the London and South-Western and Bristol and Exeter railways, and a station of the Wilts, Somerset, and Weymouth railway, also a branch line to Durston. It is supposed to be the Roman station Velox, from the number of coins and tesselated pavements which have been found, and was called Gevele by the Saxons, and in Domesday survey is mentioned as Givele, and Ivle, which names may be identified with that of the river Yeo or Ivel, on the left bank of which it is situated, and which here separates the counties of Somerset and Dorset. The parish consists of the borough of Yeovil, the chapelry of Hendford, and the tythings of Huntley, Lyde Marsh, and Wigden, and the manor of Newton." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 29th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]