Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Yeovilton
"YEOVILTON, a parish in the hundred of Somerton, county Somerset, 1½ mile E. of Ilchester, 4 miles N. of Sparkford railway station, and 7 from Yeovil. The parish is bounded on the N. by the river Yeo, and contains the hamlets of Bridghampton, Hainbury, and Speckington. In the Saxon times it was called Giveltone, and is mentioned in Domesday survey as held at the Conquest by William de Ow, or Ewe, from whom, in the reign of Henry VI., it came to William de Botreaux, and is now the property of G. D. W. Digby, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, with some orchard. The soil is clayey upon a subsoil of clay. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £426, with 60 acres of glebe, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The register commences in 1653. There are parochial and Sunday schools."
"BRIDGHAMPTON, a tything in the parish of Yeovilton, hundred of Somerton, in the county of Somerset, not far from Ilchester."
"HAINBURY, a hamlet in the parish of Yeovilton, county Somerset, 1 mile E. of Ilchester."
"SPECKINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Yeovilton, county Somerset, near Ilchester."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]