GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Yeovilton

"YEOVILTON, a parish in the hundred of Somerton, county Somerset, 1½ mile E. of Ilchester, 4 miles N. of Sparkford railway station, and 7 from Yeovil. The parish is bounded on the N. by the river Yeo, and contains the hamlets of Bridghampton, Hainbury, and Speckington. In the Saxon times it was called Giveltone, and is mentioned in Domesday survey as held at the Conquest by William de Ow, or Ewe, from whom, in the reign of Henry VI., it came to William de Botreaux, and is now the property of G. D. W. Digby, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, with some orchard. The soil is clayey upon a subsoil of clay. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £426, with 60 acres of glebe, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The register commences in 1653. There are parochial and Sunday schools." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 29th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.