Open a form to report problems or contribute information
An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Guildford
"GUILDFORD, comprises the parishes of Holy Trinity, St. Mary, and St. Nicholas, it is a market town, parliamentary and corporate borough, and the county town of county Surrey, locally situate in the first division of Woking hundred, but exercising separate jurisdiction, 30 miles S.W. of London, by the turnpike road through Kingston, Cobham, &c., and nearly 1 mile more by the South-Western railway, which has a station here. It is very pleasantly situated on the chalk downs and river Wey, and the Arun and Wey canal passes through it." (There is more of this description).