Towns & Parishes
"Acton-Trussell and Bednall are two small villages in the south end of Baswich parish, four miles SSE of Stafford, forming a township and chapelry, containing 2370 acres and 574 souls.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The Earl of Lichfield is lord of the manor, but Lord Hatherton and others have estates here."
A surname index of the 1851 census of Acton Trussell and Bednall is included in the 1851 Census Staffordshire, Surname index, Volume 12, Penkridge, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"Acton Trussell and Bednall were formerly separate chapelries, and had two separate chapels. That at Acton is still standing, but the site of the other is occupied by Bednall Church, All Saints, a neat structure in the early English style, erected in 1846.
The joint perpetual curacies are in the patronage of the trustees of the late William Hulme, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev M Davies, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The chapelries were in Baswich parish, details of which can be found on the Baswich parish page.
Acton Trussell with Bednall became a parish in its own right in 1867, with St James, Acton Trussell, as the parish church.
A view of St James Church, Acton Trussell.
Church of England Registers
The register of St James, Acton Trussell, commenced in 1571. The original registers for the period 1571-1923 (Bapts), 1659-1836 (Mar) & 1659-1933 (Bur) and Banns for the period 1824-1873 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
The register of All Saints, Bednall, commenced in 1678. The original registers for the period 1678-1886 (Bapts), 1678-1997 (Mar) & 1678-1783 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1823-1884 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for both churches are deposited at Lichfield Record Office. For some periods entries for Acton wil be found in Bednall and vice-versa, therefore both registers should be checked.
The township of Acton Trussell with Bednall became part of Penkridge Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 14th November 2003, Mike Harbach. ©1998 - 2003]