"Adbaston parish, on the western verge of Staffordshire, adjacent to Shropshire, and 5 miles W of Eccleshall, comprises the four townships of Adbaston-cum-Knighton, Bishop's Offley, Flashbrook & Tunstall, which support their poor conjointly, and contain about 5330 acres of land and 610 inhabitants. In Adbaston, there are only a few scattered houses. The Bishop of Lichfield is lord of the manor.
Bishop's Offley is a small village one and a half miles N of the parish church, and includes the hamlet of Outwoods, or Outlands, where William Wakeley died in 1714, aged 125 years.
Flashbrook forms the south division of the parish, being about two miles S by W of the church. It includes a few scattered farm houses and cottages, and also the ancient seat of Batchacre, which is now occupied by a farmer, but formerly had a spacious park, and was considered extra-parochial until 1816.
Knighton, a small ancient village, upon an abrupt declivity, is on the borders of Shropshire, six miles N of Newport. About two miles SW of Knighton is Ellerton Grange, the pleasant seat of V Vickers, Esq.
Tunstall township has a few scattered farm houses, half a mile E of Adbaston, and is mostly high land, with a fine prospect to the south."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]