"The Church, St Mary, is a fine old fabric in the pointed style, containing several monuments to the Scotts, and other families, one of which supports a recumbent effigy of Robert Stapleton, one of the crusaders.
The rectory is in the patronage of CJ Ingleby Esq, and incumbency of the Rev. JF Smith, MA, who has a good Rectory House, built in 1826 by a late brother of Sir ED Scott, Bart, formerly patron."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church is believed to have been founded c1250 by Nicholas de Alrewych. The south aisle was rebuilt in the 1840's and the north aisle rebuilt in the 1850's
The church of St Margaret, Great Barr, was a chapelry in Aldridge parish but the register pre-dates that of St Mary and details can be found on the Great Barr parish page.