"Alrewas is an extensive village, pleasantly situated on the south bank of the Trent, opposite to Wichnor, one mile W of the mouth of the River Tame and five and a half miles NE of Lichfield. It is crossed by the Trent and Mersey Canal, and on its eastern side is a commodious station on the South Staffordshire Railway, where there is much traffic in lime, coal, etc, as well as at the wharfs. The parish is a fine champaign district, comprising the three townships of Alrewas, Fradley & Orgreave, and contains about 4500 acres of rich land, mostly in pasturage and meadows, and 1658 inhabitants. The Earl of Lichfield is lord of the manor and owner of nearly all of the land.
Fradley, one mile south of Alrewas, is a small village, comprising within its township about 1300 acres of land. Fradley Heath formed part of the extensive waste of Alrewas Hay, but was enclosed about 1805. On the canal, half a mile S of Fradley, is Dunstall wharf and hamlet.
Orgreave is a small village and township, on the south bank of the Trent, half a mile W of Alrewas. and includes Overley hamlet. The Hall, now a farmhouse with a fine avenue of lime trees, was formerly the seat of the Adams family, the paternal ancestors of the Earl of Lichfield.
Alrewas Hay, four miles N by E of Lichfield, is an extra-parochial liberty of 132 souls and 1680 acres, belonging to the Earl of Lichfield, and containing the small village of Fradley Junction, so called from the Fazeley and Trent and Mersey Canals, which here unite. This district was formerly an open forest or chase and was not wholly enclosed until 1826."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]