"The parish Church, St Peter, was erected in the 12th century, by Bertram de Verdon, who gave it to the monks of Croxden. In 1830 it was enlarged, and partly rebuilt, but the ancient tower still remains.
The vicarage is in the patronage of the Earl of Shrewsbury, and incumbency of the Rev. JP Jones, BA, who has a good residence.
The Independents and the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have small chapels here.
The Roman Catholics have a chapel in the castle precincts, and the Rev Henry Winter, DD, is the priest."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St John the Baptist, Cotton, was a chapelry in Alton parish and details can be found on the Cotton page.