"Armitage is a pleasant village in the fertile plain of the Trent, on the south side of the Trent and Mersey Canal, five miles NNW of Lichfield and two and a half miles ESE of Rugeley. The parish includes the hamlet of Handsacre, and contains 1014 inhabitants and 1821 acres of land. Armitage forms three-fifths of the parish and was formerly called Hermitage, from a tradition that a hermit anciently resided in a sequestered spot between the church and the Trent.
The parish is in several manors, subject to the court leet of the manor of Longton.
JN Lane, Esq is lord of the manor of Armitage and Handsacre, and the other principal landowners are Sir George Chetwynd, the Hon Robert Curzon, and
J Spode, TJ Birch and HM Chadwick, Esqs. Armitage Park, a handsome Gothic mansion one mile west of the church, is the property and seat of Josiah Spode, Esq, who was high sheriff of the county in 1850.
Handsacre, or Hansacre, is a pleasant hamlet about one mile E of Armitage and four miles N by W of Lichfield, where there is a station on the North Staffordshire Railway. Verdon's Manor was a part of Handsacre, which formerly belonged to the Verdon family, and was granted in 1318 to Sir Robt. de Verdon, son of Sir Henry Mavesyn.
A small part of Brereton village is also in Armitage parish but the major part is in Rugeley parish."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]