"The Parish Church, St John the Baptist, is an ancient fabric, on the south side of which is a chapel, containing monuments and effigies of the six Lords Gerard, of Bromley, the last of whom died in 1707. The rectory is in the incumbency of the Rev TH Harding, MA, who has a large thatched residence and 30 acres of glebe.
The Catholic Chapel, near the south end of the village, was rebuilt in 1828, of brick, cemented and highly ornamented in imitation of stone."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Postcard of St John the Baptist Church c1920.