"Barton Church, is a neat edifice, dedicated to St James, and founded by Dr John Taylor, a native of the village. The windows of the chancel, repaired about 20 years ago, display rich and elegently finished paintings of the crucifixion, and the twelve apostles.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean of Lichfield, as vicar of Tatenhill, and incumbency of the Rev. HG Cooper, MA.
Here are two neat chapels, built in 1828 by the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St James, Barton, was a chapelry of Tatenhill parish, details of which can be found on the Tatenhill parish page.