Towns & Parishes
"Barton-under-Needwood is a large and well built village, nearly five miles SW by S of Burton-upon-Trent, comprising within its extensive township and chapelry (to Tatenhill parish) a large portion of the enclosed Needwood Forest, many scattered farmsteads, several handsome villas, and a fine tract of pasture land, extending along the western bank of the Trent. In Domesday book it is called Bertune, and described as the property of the crown. Lady Horton is lord of the manor, but a greater part of the soil belongs to the trustees of the late Charles Arkwright, Esq, John Levett, Richard F Butler, CW Lyon, LK Hall, & JC Fowler, Esqrs., and some smaller owners.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Barton Hall, a neat modern mansion, is the seat of LK Hall, Esq. Yewtree House, the ancient seat of the Sanders family, was rebuilt in the Gothic style in 1833, and is now called Nuttall House, and occupied by JC Fowler, Esq. Newbold Manor, one mile E of Barton, is occupied by a farmer, and near it are several saline springs, which have such an effect on the pastures, as to change the colour of the cattle that graze on them from a black, red, or brown, to a whitish dun.
About a mile E of the village is the hamlet of Barton Turning, on the Trent and Mersey canal, where there is a railway station, and a little further to the east, a handsome bridge, of stone and iron, was erected about 20 years ago across the River Trent. The ferry, which had crossed the river to Walton, in Derbyshire, was often difficult and dangerous. Barton cattle fairs are held on May 3rd and November 28th, and the wake on the first Sunday in August."
'Under the Greenwood Tree. A Glimpse into the History of Barton-under-Needwood'
by Steve Gardner.
Published 1995, by Barton-under-Needwood Parish Council.
The population of Barton township was as follows:
1831 -- 1459.
1841 -- 1561.
"Barton Church, is a neat edifice, dedicated to St James, and founded by Dr John Taylor, a native of the village. The windows of the chancel, repaired about 20 years ago, display rich and elegently finished paintings of the crucifixion, and the twelve apostles.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Dean of Lichfield, as vicar of Tatenhill, and incumbency of the Rev. HG Cooper, MA.
Here are two neat chapels, built in 1828 by the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St James, Barton, was a chapelry of Tatenhill parish, details of which can be found on the Tatenhill parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St James commences in 1571. The original registers for the period 1571-date are held by the incumbent. Banns for the period 1828-81 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1869 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the register for the period 1571-1812, was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society (in 2 parts) in 1902-03, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The chapelry became part of Burton-upon-Trent Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 22nd May 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 1999, 2000]