Towns & Parishes
"Baswich, or Berkswich, near Stafford, is a large parish without a village of its own name, divided into the two townships of Baswich & Brockton, in Stafford Union, and the township of Acton-Trussell with Bednall, in Penkridge Union. The whole parish contains 1448 souls and 6200 acres of land, including parts of Cannock Chase, in which the farmers have common rights. The parish is skirted on the north by the River Sow, and on the west by the Penk.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Baswich, or Berkswich township comprises 1600 acres of land, and the pleasant hamlets of Radford, Weeping-Cross, Walton and Milford.
Brockton is a township and scattered village, nearly four miles SE by E of Stafford, containing 800 acres, of which 730 belong to William Fawkener Chetwynd, Esq, of Brockton Hall, an ancient mansion in a pleasant park, near which is Brockton Villa, the modern seat of Henry Chetwynd, Esq. Here is an excellent freestone quarry, and a fine stratum of clay, of which large quantities of bricks are made.
(Acton Trussell and Bednall formed a chapelry in Baswich parish and details can be found on the Acton Trussell page.) "
The population of Baswich parish (including Acton-Trussell & Bednall) was as follows:
1831 -- 1329
1841 -- 1448
"The parish Church, Holy Trinity, stands on the east bank of the Penk, at a considerable distance from any of the hamlets, two miles ESE of Stafford. It was rebuilt, with brick many years ago, except the ancient stone tower, which still remains.
The vicarage is in the alternate patronage of the Rev C Inge and JN Lane, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev. Thos Leveson Lane, MA, of Wasperton, Warwickshire for whom the Rev HB Scougall, BA, officiates.
Walton Church, St Thomas, is a handsome structure in the early English style, and was built in 1843 as a chapel of ease to the parish church."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The churches of Acton Trussell and Bednall were chapelries in Baswich parish and details can be found on the Acton Trussell page.
Postcard of Holy Trinity Church c1910.
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of Holy Trinity, Baswich with Walton, commences in 1601. The original registers for the period 1601-1937 (Bapts), 1601-1974 (Mar), & 1601-1909 (Bur) and Banns for the periods 1754-1812 & 1823-1843 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1662-1883 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers of Baswich with Walton, Holy Trinity, 1571-1812, was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1905, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcription of the section on Baswich from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
The townships of Baswich and Brockton became part of Stafford Union and the Township of Acton Trussell with Bednall became part of Penkridge Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 27th October 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]