"Biddulph parish, stretching from two to six miles SE of Congleton and from four to eight miles N of Burslem, is a hilly, moorland district, in the northern angle of Pirehill Hundred, comprising 5530 acres of land, and 2314 inhabitants, whose dwellings are scattered among the hills, and on the banks of the rapid stream of the Trent, which rises at the north end of the parish, under the high, rocky ridge called Mow Cop, near the boundary of Cheshire and Staffordshire. The soil, except an open common of 310 acres, is now in excellent cultivation, and is divided into four hamlets and manors, viz: - Over Biddulph, commonly called Overton, belonging to Lord Camoys; Middle and Nether Biddulph, the property of Captain Roland Mainwaring, RN; and Knypersley, the property of John Bateman, Esq. The parish abounds in coal, and has five large collieries; several quarries of hard and durable stone; a scrap iron and spade and shovel manufactory; and a silk mill. Here also is a bed of fine sand, of which great quantities are sent to the potteries.
Biddulph Hall, anciently the residence of the Biddulph family, was at the north end of the parish, and its site is now occupied by a neat house in the Italian style. A little beyond it, on the borders of Cheshire, are the remains of a Druidical temple, called the Bridestones, and consisting of eight upright freestones, two of which stand within a semicircle formed by the other six. Near these stones are the remains of three curious caves, excavated in the solid rock."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]