The church was originally a building of great antiquity. It is mentioned in letters patent granted in 1445 for a chantry in Bilston to be dedicated to St Leonard, although it was not founded until 1458 when several residents granted large tracts of land for its support. St Leonards was dissolved in 1536 when the King's Commisioners noted: "Examined into the state of the Chantrie of St Leonard's, called Erdington's Chantrie, Bilston. Its income is very small, and the priest guilty of unlawful practices, we have therefore commanded that it be dissolved"
The church was re-opened in 1557, when Clement Perrye, a native of Bilston, was appointed curate. It was rebuilt in 1825 as a plain brick building in the Classic style, consisting of a chancel and nave, western porch and a western tower of stone, surmounted by a cupola and containing a clock and six bells.
In 1882-3 the church was re-cased in cement, the tower rebuilt, and the interior entirely renovated.
The whole of Bilston Township originally formed a chapelry to Wolverhampton, St Peter which retained the right to perform Bilston marriages. There was considerable dispute and litigation between the churches regarding the status of Bilston and as a result, St Leonard's church performed marriages between 1747 and 1754, but between 1755 and 1841 the right to perform marriages was withdrawn and marriages again took place at Wolverhampton.
A view of St Leonard's Church (1).
A view of St Leonard's Church (2).
A view of St Leonard's Church (3).