"St Mary's Church, in Oxford Street, is a fine Gothic structure, in the style which prevailed in the 16th century, and was erected in 1830, its spacious burial ground being purchased by subscription. The interior is neatly fitted up, and has 1500 sittings, of which 900 are free. It has a powerful organ, and is lighted by gas. In the tower is an illuminated clock.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the incumbent of St Leonard's, or the Bishop of Lichfield, sub-judice, and incumbency of the Rev JB Owen, MA, who is assisted by the Rev WB Bennison, BA."
Memorials inside St Mary's Church, Bilston transcribed by Mary Newman.
A view of St Mary's Church.
Church of England Registers
The separate register of St Mary, Bilston, commences in 1848.
The register for the period 1830-1848 is included with the St Leonard, Bilston registers.
The original registers for the period 1848-1951 (Bapts), 1848-1959 (Mar) & 1848-1975 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1935-1949 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
No Bishops Transcripts are recorded at Lichfield Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Bilston can be found on the Bilston page.
[Last updated: 3rd June 2002, Mike Harbach. © 1999, 2001, 2002]