Towns & Parishes
"Blithfield parish is a fertile district, seven and a half miles S by W of Uttoxeter and four and a half miles N of Rugeley, comprising the hall, rectory and church of Blithfield, and the hamlets of Admaston, half a mile E of the church, and Newton, one mile NW of the church. It also has a number of scattered farmhouses, and contains 390 inhabitants, of whom 214 are in Newton liberty. Blithfield and Admaston contain 1414 acres and Newton 1744 acres. Lord Bagot is lord of the manor, and owner of nearly all the parish. His Lordship resides at Blithfield Hall, an ancient mansion with embattled towers and walls, which gives it the air of a fortress. Bagot's Park, which forms part of the pleasure grounds, is distant one and a half miles to the NE in the parish of Abbot's Bromley.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The Bagot family is of great antiquity, and possessed this and the adjoining estate of Bagot's Bromley, at the time of the Domesday survey."
'Blithfield Hall - A Descriptive Survey and History'
by Lady Nancy Constance Bagot.
Published 1979, by English Life Publications, Derby.
'A History of the Family of Bagot, of Bagots Bromley & Blithfield...'
by Hon George Wrottesley.
Published 1908, by Harrison & Sons, London.
The population of Blithfield parish was as follows:
1831 -- 468
1841 -- 390
"Blithfield Church, St Leonard, is an ancient structure, and the living is a rectory. Lord Bagot is patron,and the Hon & Rev Hervey Chas. Bagot, MA, is the incumbent."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St Leonard commences in 1538. The original registers for the period 1538-1990 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office but the following sections are missing: Baptisms, 1650-1812; Marriages, 1642-1812; Burials, 1645-1812, although the SRO holds manuscript copies of most of these records.
Bishops Transcripts, 1693-1877 (with gaps 1757-51, 1870) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The parish became part of Uttoxeter Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 23rd May 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 1999, 2000]