"Blore is a small village and parish, on an acclivity above Dovedale, three and a half miles NW of Ashbourne, including the hamlet of Swinscoe, one mile to the south, and a part of the parochial chapelry of Calton. Blore parish, exclusive of the portion of Calton, contains about 2000 acres and 273 souls. Swinscoe contains about 1000 acres, belonging chiefly to HC Okeover, Esq. Offley Shore, Esq, is lord of the manor, and owner of Blore Hall Estate." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"Blore Church, St Bartholomew, is an antique structure, which was repaired in 1840. It has two chapels, several monumental effigies of the Bassett family, and three ancient carved oak screens. The rectory is in the incumbency of the Rev Hugh Wood and patronage of Offley Shore, Esq." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers The parish register of the parish church of St Bartholomew commences in 1558. The original registers for the period 1558-1935 (Bapts), 1558-1944 (Mar) & 1558-1990 (Bur) and Banns for the period 1784-1974 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1668-1872 (with gaps 1730-32, 1766-70) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.