GENUKI Home page
Staffordshire Staffordshire
county page
  GENUKI Contents GENUKI
Contents
  Parish Index Staffordshire
Towns & Parishes
  NeighboursNearby places

Blore-with-Swinscoe

"Blore is a small village and parish, on an acclivity above Dovedale, three and a half miles NW of Ashbourne, including the hamlet of Swinscoe, one mile to the south, and a part of the parochial chapelry of Calton. Blore parish, exclusive of the portion of Calton, contains about 2000 acres and 273 souls. Swinscoe contains about 1000 acres, belonging chiefly to HC Okeover, Esq.
Offley Shore, Esq, is lord of the manor, and owner of Blore Hall Estate."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]

Blore or Blore-with-Swinscoe is the name usually given to the civil parish, the ecclesiastical parish known as Blore-Ray parish has almost identical boundaries. This is shown erroneously as a separate parish on the western side of Staffordshire in the 'Atlas & Index of Parish Registers' published by Phillimore & Co Ltd.

Bibliography

'Swinscoe, Blore and the Bassetts'
by David and Martine Swinscoe
Published 1998, by Churnet Valley Books.
ISBN 1 897949 41 3

Return to top of page

Census

The population of Blore-with-Swinscoe parish was as follows:
1801 -- 203
1831 -- 354
1841 -- 333

Return to top of page

Church History

"Blore Church, St Bartholomew, is an antique structure, which was repaired in 1840. It has two chapels, several monumental effigies of the Bassett family, and three ancient carved oak screens. The rectory is in the incumbency of the Rev Hugh Wood and patronage of Offley Shore, Esq."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]

Return to top of page

Church Records

Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St Bartholomew commences in 1558. The original registers for the period 1558-1935 (Bapts), 1558-1944 (Mar) & 1558-1990 (Bur) and Banns for the period 1784-1974 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1668-1872 (with gaps 1730-32, 1766-70) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law etc

The parish became part of Ashbourne Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.

Return to top of page
Valid HTML 4.0!

[Last updated: 10th July 2002, Mike Harbach.  © 1999, 2000, 2002]