"Blurton is a pleasantly situated village, two and a half miles E of Trentham, comprising within its chapelry (to Trentham) the enclosed district called Lightwood Forest, and the hamlets of Cocknage, Cold Ridding, and Spratslade, the latter of which forms a suburb of cottages adjoining Longton. "
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"Blurton Church, (St Bartholomew), is a plain old structure.
The benefice is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Duke of Sutherland, and incumbency of the Rev. John Hutchinson, MA, canon of Lichfield."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Bartholomew, Blurton, was a chapelry of Trentham parish, details of which can be found on the Trentham parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Bartholomew commences in 1754. The original registers for the period 1813-1975 (Bapts), 1754-1770 & 1842-1990 (Mar) and 1828-1967 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Earlier entries are included with Trentham.
A transcript of the Trentham registers which include Blurton chapelry for the period 1558-1812 was published in two parts by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1906 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcript of the registers of Blurton St Bartholomew for the period 1813-1855 (Bapts), 1842-1855 (Mar) and 1828-1855 (Bur) was published jointly by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society and the Birmingham & Midland SGH in 2003.
Bishops Transcripts, 1814-1836 (Bapts) & 1814-1838 (Bur) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office. Earlier Bishops Transcripts are included with Trentham.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Blurton which are provided by: