Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Blymhill is a small and scattered village, six miles WNW of Brewood, comprising within its parish the hamlet of Brineton, and 633 inhabitants, with about 2900 acres of land, most of which has a strong loamy soil. The commons, called the Heath and the Lawn, were enclosed about 40 years ago.
The mansion called the High Hall, now occupied by a farmer, is seated on a beautiful eminence, and supposed to have been the residence of William Bagot, who was lord of Blymhill, in the reign of Henry II. Fras.Yates, Esq, and a few smaller owners, have estates in the parish.
Brineton contains a few farm houses and several cottages, one mile north of Blymhill, and supports its poor jointly with the rest of the parish. It is watered by two rivulets, one of which gives name to two farms called Brockhurst."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
'Some Account of the Manor & Parish of Blymhill in the County of Stafford (with Genealogical Tables)'
by Hon George Thomas Orlando
Published in two parts 1880, 1881.
The population of Blymhill parish was as follows:
1831 -- 566
1841 -- 633
"The Church, St Mary, was all rebuilt, except the tower and chancel, in 1719, and has 4 bells and 300 sittings.
The rectory is in the patronage of the Earl of Bradford, the lord of the manor. The Rev. JH Dickinson, MA, is the incumbent, and has a large Rectory House. A late incumbent, the Rev Samuel Dickenson, was a learned and ingenious naturalist."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
A view of St Mary's Church.
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St Mary commences in 1561. The original registers for the period 1561-1971 (Bapts), 1561-1985 (Mar) & 1561-1989 (Bur) and Banns for the period 1754-1817 & 1823-71 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1661-1868 (with gaps 1663 & 1667-8) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the register of St Mary for the period 1561-1812 (Bapts, Mar & Bur) was published by the Staffordshire Parish Registers Society in 1914, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcript of the register of St Mary for the period 1813-1837 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Registers Society and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH in a compilation of Armitage, Blymhill and Himley parish registers.
You can see pictures of Blymhill which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ809124 (Lat/Lon: 52.708900, -2.284154), Blymhill which are provided by:
The parish became part of Shiffnall Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.